San Diego Mayor Bob Filner to finish therapy earlier than expected
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- San Diego Mayor Bob Filner will finish his sex therapy a week earlier than expected.
According to his lawyers, Filner will complete the program on Saturday, and will then take personal time next week before he returns to work. They said Filner will continue his therapy on an outpatient basis.
Filner announced last month that he would enter a two-week therapy program from Aug. 5 to Aug. 19 following allegations of sexual harassment.
Filner's chief of staff reportedly said the mayor went into therapy a week early because of the intense media coverage.
Fourteen women have accused Filner of unwanted physical and verbal advances. Irene McCormack Jackson, Filner's former communications director, has filed a lawsuit against the mayor and the city claiming Filner made unwanted sexual advances.
Meanwhile, Filner's last two supporters on the San Diego City Council have joined the others in calling for his resignation. Filner is refusing to step down and recall efforts are underway.
U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer sent an open letter to Filner in a new push to get him to step down. In her letter, Boxer encouraged Filner to step down from his post and take care of "his needs as a private citizen."
Her letter read, in part:
"Bob, you must resign because you have betrayed the trust of the women you have victimized, the San Diegans you represent and the people you have worked with throughout your decades in public life.
"Bob, you have already hurt so many people. To avoid hurting your victims and the people of San Diego more than you already have, you should step down immediately."
City News Service contributed to this report.
san diego, legal, california news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate