10 CA hospitals fined for dangerous lapses
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- State health officials have fined ten California hospitals for failures in patient care and noncompliance with licensing requirements caused or likely to cause serious injury or death to patients.
Five of those facilities are located in Los Angeles and Orange counties and the Inland Empire.
California Department of Public Health issued a total of $675,000 in fines to the hospitals.
In Los Angeles, Barlow Respiratory Hospital was fined after it failed to follow policies and procedures related to telemetry monitoring.
Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center was also penalized for failing to follow patient safety procedures.
Desert Valley Hospital in Victorville was fined after it did not follow established policies related to cardiac catheterization.
Staff at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles failed to follow surgical policies and procedures which resulted in a patient having to undergo a second surgery to remove a retained foreign object.
All four local hospitals face a $50,000 fine, which is a first for each.
The state also fined St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton after it failed to follow surgical policies and procedures. The hospital was fined $100,000. This is the hospital's fifth administrative penalty.
Other California hospitals fined were Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Oakland, Marin General Hospital in Greenbrae, Memorial Medical Center in Modesto, Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento,
The hospitals have worked with state regulators to change procedures to prevent recurrences. If continuing problems are found, medical centers could lose their state operating licenses or their federal Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements.
Hospitals have a right to appeal the fines within 10 days, according to department.
california, health, health care, california news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
1 min ago