10 CA hospitals fined for dangerous lapses
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- State health officials have fined ten California hospitals for failures in patient care and noncompliance with licensing requirements caused or likely to cause serious injury or death to patients.
Five of those facilities are located in Los Angeles and Orange counties and the Inland Empire.
California Department of Public Health issued a total of $675,000 in fines to the hospitals.
In Los Angeles, Barlow Respiratory Hospital was fined after it failed to follow policies and procedures related to telemetry monitoring.
Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center was also penalized for failing to follow patient safety procedures.
Desert Valley Hospital in Victorville was fined after it did not follow established policies related to cardiac catheterization.
Staff at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles failed to follow surgical policies and procedures which resulted in a patient having to undergo a second surgery to remove a retained foreign object.
All four local hospitals face a $50,000 fine, which is a first for each.
The state also fined St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton after it failed to follow surgical policies and procedures. The hospital was fined $100,000. This is the hospital's fifth administrative penalty.
Other California hospitals fined were Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Oakland, Marin General Hospital in Greenbrae, Memorial Medical Center in Modesto, Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego and University of California Davis Medical Center in Sacramento,
The hospitals have worked with state regulators to change procedures to prevent recurrences. If continuing problems are found, medical centers could lose their state operating licenses or their federal Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements.
Hospitals have a right to appeal the fines within 10 days, according to department.
california, health, health care, california news
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area 45 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 13 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 37 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping 40 min ago
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini