San Diego Mayor Bob Filner in mediation session
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- San Diego Mayor Bob Filner was supposed to return to work Monday, but he was in a mediation session to determine his future.
According to ABC affiliate station KGTV in San Diego, a mediation session got underway Monday involving the city attorney, Filner's attorney and attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing accuser Irene McCormack Jackson in a lawsuit. The mediation could possibly include the mayor's resignation.
"The mediator has asked us not to comment, because the mediation is ongoing," said Allred.
The effort to recall Filner has intensified. Volunteers began collecting the thousands of signatures needed to authorize an election that could recall Filner Sunday.
Sixteen women have accused the 70-year-old mayor of inappropriate behavior. Several of them attended a rally calling for his resignation.
A new poll by our ABC affiliate in San Diego finds 81 percent of those asked think Filner should resign.
The recall drive needs to turn in 102,000 signatures by Sept. 26 to qualify for the ballot.
The city attorney is also looking at other options, including seeking a restraining order barring the mayor from City Hall.
Meantime, dozens gathered outside City Hall to show support for Filner.
"We are here today to express our outrage, our outrage, at the flagrant disregard for the constitutional rights of Mayor Bob Filner," said supporter Anita Turner.
Filner's supporters say he's done a lot for the city and deserves better.
"We're going to stand behind him. We ask him not to resign," said Kathleen Harmon, a Filner campaign volunteer.
Filner has resisted numerous calls to resign. He apologized for what he called a failure to respect women, but has denied the allegations of sexual harassment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
san diego, legal, california news
- London theater partial collapse; 80+ hurt 12 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 9 min ago
- 14 hospitalized in Riverside County bus crash 3 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis