Hannah Anderson's mother, brother honored at service
SANTEE, Calif. (KABC) -- A memorial service was held Saturday in San Diego County for the mother and brother of kidnapped teen Hannah Anderson.
Christina Anderson, 44, and Ethan Anderson, 8, were allegedly killed by James DiMaggio. He then kidnapped the girl and was later shot to death by FBI agents.
The teen entered the church carrying a blown-up photo of her mother and brother. Their remains, and those of the family dog that was found shot to death in the burning house, were blessed by a priest during the public service.
Hannah and her father, Brett Anderson, also greeted friends and relatives, but left the eulogy to Christina's uncle.
"This was a national tragedy. It has been very painful. It has been unending pain and sorrow," said David Braun.
Braun said Hannah's safe return answered the family's prayers, and he praised the media and Amber Alert system for the role they played in her rescue.
DiMaggio's family has requested paternity tests to determine if the suspect fathered the children. Brett Anderson gave his DNA to investigators to confirm Ethan's identity. DiMaggio named Hannah's grandmother, Bernice Anderson, as the sole beneficiary of his employer-issued life insurance policy, making her eligible to receive $112,000.
Authorities have declined to discuss a possible motive in the deaths and haven't addressed other details of the case, including how Hannah was treated by DiMaggio during the ordeal.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
kidnap, san diego, homicide investigation, california news
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 2 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 29 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest 46 min ago
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis 23 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
18 min ago