Gov. Brown meets with Cal State U. trustees in Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A budget battle for the California State University system: Tuesday there was some good news for students as the trustees and the governor met in Long Beach. But the amount of money the schools will get is still unresolved.
In its preliminary budget, the Cal State trustees are asking the governor for a $250-million increase for its 2014-2015 academic year. Governor Brown's preliminary budget gives CSU $2.471 billion, an increase of $142 million.
The trustees want the extra money to be able to add 1,000 classes and 20,000 students to the 23-campus system.
"We weren't able to fund as much enrollment in this last budget as we needed to, and as a 0result we're turning away over 20,000 CSU-eligible applicants a year," said Robert Turnage, CSU assistant vice chancellor for budget.
The governor told the trustees that if they want more money than the $142-million increase he's proposing, they'll have to lobby hard in Sacramento for it.
"They can ask, but the state has all these other demands," said Brown. "Prisons, health care, environment, K through 12."
Whatever the budget increase the trustees and governor finally agree on, tuition will not go up.
The CSU trustees are expected to have a final budget proposal to approve at their next meeting in November. That budget will be submitted to the governor for his approval.
budget, education, jerry brown, california news, sid garcia
- Boston Marathon runners show resilience 1 min ago
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill
- Viewing to be held for LA police officer 24 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous'
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood
- Compton big rig crash leaves woman dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
56 min ago