Asiana crash: DA to decide on firefighter's possible criminal charge
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Prosecutors are deciding whether a firefighter should be criminally charged in the death of a teen killed by a fire truck following the Asiana Airlines plane crash in San Francisco.
Prosecutors say they expect to decide within two weeks whether criminal charges are warranted.
Authorities say Chinese student Ye Mengyuan died after a fire truck ran over her in the aftermath of the crash. Mengyuan, along with two classmates, died and dozens were injured after the Asiana Airlines flight from Seoul crash landed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.
The girl was buried under firefighting foam rescue workers were spraying to douse the burning plane.
Fire department officials are still investigating the incident.
"Whenever a vehicle collides with a person and causes death, there's a possibility of a crime," said prosecutor Al Serrato, an assistant district attorney in San Mateo, noting that there are a range of potential charges from vehicular manslaughter to recklessness.
"And there's also the possibility this was just a tragic accident," he added.
Attorney Anthony Tarricone, who is representing Ye's family and other survivors, said experts who reviewed the autopsy concluded she may have been run over twice, because she had both head injuries, which killed her, and what he said were subsequent pelvic injuries.
"We believe she was likely carried off the plane by a firefighter and placed on the ground, and then she was abandoned, left unattended and run over," Tarricone said. "As far as we know, she was never properly examined."
Tarricone said regardless of whether criminal charges are filed, he plans to sue the San Francisco Fire Department and other agencies involved before a January, 2014, deadline.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
northern california, airport news, airplane, plane crash, california news
- Pinkberry co-founder given 7 yrs in '11 beating 25 min ago
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry 49 min ago
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)