UCSF to review hospital where patient disappeared
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- Investigators have ruled out foul play in the death and disappearance of a woman found in a stairwell at San Francisco General Hospital.
The coroner has yet to establish the time or cause of Lynne Spalding's death.
The 57-year-old was admitted to the hospital for a bladder or urinary tract infection on Sept. 19. She vanished from her hospital room two days later.
Her body was found in a rarely used fourth-floor fire exit stairwell Tuesday during an unrelated inspection. The stairwell was several hundred feet from the unit where Spalding was being treated.
"What happened at our hospital is horrible," San Francisco General Hospital Chief Medical Officer Todd May said at a news conference Wednesday. "We are here to take care of patients, to heal them, to keep them safe. This has shaken us to our core. Our staff is devastated."
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee has ordered officials from the state-run University of California, San Francisco Medical Center to review the hospital's security and patient safety procedures.
Spalding's family and friends spent days "scouring the streets of San Francisco with fliers because we were under the assumption that San Francisco General had been searched and Lynne was not there," the victim's friend and family spokesman David Perry said Wednesday.
Her family and friends are demanding answers from authorities and medical officials.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
missing person, unbelievable, san francisco, california news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Oxnard residents burglarize home
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months