Patients weren't abandoned at CA care home, attorney says
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- The attorney for the owners of an elderly care home in Northern California says patients there were not abandoned.
Paramedics were called to Valley Manor Community Care Home in Castro Valley on Saturday, where 14 patients had to be evacuated to a hospital or other care facilities. A note on the door posted by the state Department of Social Services said the facility was to be closed Oct. 24. Paramedics found that most of the staff had left and only three unpaid staff members - a caregiver, cook and janitor - remained.
Authorities said 911 was called after the three staffers determined they could no longer care for the patients.
Attorney Orrin Grover says the owners of the facility were trying to find homes for the 14 low-income residents but couldn't do it before authorities arrived.
About half of the residents had been moved out by Thursday. California Department of Social Services spokesman Michael Weston said the state had allowed the facility's operators, Herminigilda "Hilda" N. Manuel and Mary Julleah N. Manuel, to keep it open over the weekend despite the closure order so new housing could be found for the rest of the residents.
State officials said numerous violations at the facility spurred the closure. In a license revocation complaint filed by state social services, one patient who was not supposed to be let outside allegedly went missing for two days. The complaint also said the facility failed to hand out medications correctly, to conduct proper employee criminal background checks and to adequately train staff members. The complaint also claims the facility was dirty and in disrepair.
"There had been a long history regarding a lack of compliance and the department reached a point where it began action to revoke the license," Weston said. "The intention of the department is revoke the license and close the facility for good."
Alameda County Adult Protective Services is now working to find new homes for the 14 displaced residents displaced.
KGO-TV and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 47 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians