Batkid beats leukemia, saves San Francisco's 'Gotham City'
SAN FRANCISCO (KABC) -- The entire city of San Francisco turned into Gotham City on Friday to fulfill a 5-year-old boy's Make-A-Wish dream. Miles Scott became his favorite superhero for the day, and in the process, he won the hearts of thousands around the country.
Miles has been battling leukemia since he was 18 months old. He is now in remission after ending his treatments in June, and on Friday, he battled the likes of the Riddler, Penguin and Edward "E." Nigma.
"This has turned into a full-blown phenomenon," said San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr, who called Batkid into service to fight crime.
Wearing a Batman costume, Miles began his day by rescuing a woman from cable car tracks and caught the Riddler trying to rob a bank. Lou Seal, mascot for the San Francisco Giants, was kidnapped by the Penguin, but Batkid came to the rescue.
Miles traveled in a black Lamborghini with a Batman decal and a police escort worthy of a dignitary. Crowds followed him wherever he went, chanting "bat kid, bat kid," and by the time he reached Union Square, there were thousands cheering him on.
The effort even caught the attention of President Barack Obama, who posted a Vine saying, "Way to go Miles, way to save Gotham!"
According to KGO-TV, Miles had no idea what was in store for him. He thought he was in San Francisco just to get a Batman costume.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
cancer, san francisco, california news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 27 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 38 min ago
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected 4 min ago
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 37 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 31 min ago
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler