Oakland hospital ordered to keep treating brain-dead teen
OAKLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge has ordered an Oakland hospital to continue treating a teen who was declared brain dead, as a second medical evaluation is conducted.
Jahi McMath was declared brain dead Dec. 12 following a routine tonsillectomy at Children's Hospital in Oakland. Her family is fighting to keep their 13-year-old daughter on life support.
An Alameda County judge called for Jahi to be independently examined by Paul Graham Fisher, the chief of child neurology at Stanford University School of Medicine. The examination was expected to occur later on Monday, and early Tuesday.
The judge ordered the hospital to keep Jahi on a ventilator until Dec. 30, or until further order from the court.
"We're definitely going to have her past Christmas, we believe, which is something that's huge," Jahi's uncle, Omari Sealey, told ABC News. "We wanted to make sure they [the hospital] didn't take her [off life support] before Christmas. We're in an OK place right now.
The family's attorney, Christopher Dolan, says they want to keep Jahi alive on life support as long as they can.
"The family's goal is to keep her alive as long as possible because they've seen so many issues of spontaneous recovery," Dolan said.
Doctors want to remove Jahi from life support. Outside the courtroom, Dr. David Durand, chief of pediatrics at Children's, said that staff have the "deepest sympathy" for the family, but "the ventilator cannot reverse the brain death that has occurred, and it would be wrong to give false hope that Jahi will ever come back to life."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
california, health, california news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report