Firefighter detained at Chula Vista car crash scene by CHP
CHULA VISTA, Calif. (KABC) -- A firefighter responding to a car crash in Chula Vista was detained and handcuffed for not obeying police orders immediately.
Chula Vista Fire Department engineer Jacob Gregoire was among emergency personnel responding to a rollover crash on Interstate 805 Tuesday night.
A CHP officer, whose identity was not released, took Gregoire into custody after a discussion over whether a fire engine needed to be moved, according to Chula Vista Fire Chief Dave Hanneman.
The chief said an engine was partially blocking a lane to protect an ambulance and those who were helping the crash victims.
When Gregoire told the officer that he could not move the engine right away, the officer put Gregoire in handcuffs and placed him in the back of a squad car.
Supervisors from both sides were called, and Gregoire was eventually released after about 30 minutes.
Hanneman said the officer's actions could have potentially made the situation more dangerous.
Both sides met Wednesday to discuss the incident and released the following joint statement: "This morning representatives from both agencies met to discuss the incident to improve communication and ensure the highest level of service is provided to the public. This incident will be a topic of future joint training sessions, in an ongoing effort to work more efficiently together."
The Associated Press and CNN contributed to this report.
car crash, arrest, san diego, california news
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested 59 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 45 min ago
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City 24 min ago
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour