Local agencies adopt water conservation methods
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With water rationing on the horizon, Governor Jerry Brown is asking his administration to lead by example. Brown is asking state agencies to cut their water use by 20 percent.
With the announcement of a drought emergency come major concerns about water conservation.
In Panorama City, officials held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to introduce the Woodman Avenue Stormwater Capture Project, which they say will improve water quality and alleviate local flooding.
The project will capture rainwater in the San Fernando groundwater basin instead of letting it run off to the ocean.
In Camarillo, Congresswoman Julia Brownley hosted a water resources round table, where Ventura County farmers voiced concerns about how the water shortage will affect their livelihoods.
"Rationing will be an important part, I believe, of the solution, clearly," said Brownley. "Each city and the county, they're all deliberating about that at this particular moment in time."
At a water recycling facility in El Segundo, water-efficiency experts also addressed how cities, residents and businesses can conserve water during the drought.
Mayor Bill Fisher says 50 percent of the water used in El Segundo is already recycled.
"We've adopted a water-conservation ordinance that calls for such common sense conservation acts as residences and businesses reacting and immediately responding to even the smallest water leak; prohibiting automatic watering of lawns during daytime hours, 9 to 5, and limiting that duration to 15 minutes or less; limit washing vehicles," said Fisher.
Assemblyman Isadore Hall called for a statewide water bond that would increase water capacity and clean existing water sources in Los Angeles County, reducing need for Northern California water.
Water district officials say Los Angeles should have enough water to make it through the end of the year, but reiterated that water rationing may be needed in the future.
california news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 47 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 33 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Easy moves to keep hips strong and healthy
20 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
39 min ago