What's Bugging You?
What's Bugging You? Overnight street parking
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Strict parking restrictions all over the city are bugging ABC7 viewers. Some people say they can't even park in front of their own homes. Here's how to get the rule changed.
We love our cars. Parking them, however, isn't always easy. In Fullerton it's nearly impossible overnight. With few exceptions, there is no street parking between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. The law has been on the books since the 1920s.
"The problem is, is that when it was instituted in 1924, everyone had one car," said Don Hoppe, director of engineering for the city of Fullerton. "Now everyone has three or four cars. So if you've got a two-car garage and you've got four people driving, now you need a spot to park, and if you've got a short driveway, that means you're parking on the street. And in Fullerton, you can't do that."
That's bugging Don Hugar who has received a number of tickets for parking his truck in front of his home.
"I think it's totally ridiculous. If it's not unconstitutional, it should be. Because what gives them a right to tell people they cannot park in front of their own home that they own?" said Fullerton resident Don Hugar.
Hugar has a handicap plate. And he feels he should be able to park here.
"I'm a disabled Vietnam veteran. I am an advanced diabetic, I have advanced neuropathy in my feet. That's why I'm shaking," said Hugar. "I need to be able to park out here."
The Department of Motor Vehicles in Sacramento states that handicap plates will allow someone to park in meters without restrictions. But in this case it's no parking for any vehicles overnight in Fullerton, even with a handicap sticker. Hugar can't park here.
"It's just like any other law: You can petition to have it changed," said Hoppe. "But there's not a driving force to do that. Most people are fairly happy with it.
But Eyewitness News found there are some things Hugar can do. An entire block can get an exemption if the majority of homeowners signs a petition and submits it to the city with a fee of about $450.
Since Hugar is handicapped he has another option.
Like other homeowners, he can ask ask for just one spot in front of his home. There is a fee of about $170. But Hugar doesn't believe he should have to pay anything.
"I wish that I could find a civil attorney to help me because I believe my civil liberties, as well as the handicap, have been violated," said Hugar.
Other cities such as Cerritos, Arcadia and San Dimas have overnight parking restrictions. All of them will allow exemptions.
"They can come down to city hall," said Hoppe. "They can talk to someone in our traffic division. It's also available on the Web site that tells you what the criteria is, tells you how to get the petitions going and what you need to do. You can also come down and talk to us or call us on the phone. Again, that's on the Web site. And we can tell you whether or not you even qualify, whether it'd be close and whether or not it would be a waste of your time or money to try and apply."
Eyewitness News will stay on this story and find out what happens with Hugar's request.
downtown, what's bugging you?, carlos granda
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
What's Bugging You?
- What's Bugging You Home Page
- Click here to tell us What's Bugging You
- Photos: What's Bugging You? Read complaints
- What's Bugging You? Smokers in traffic
- What's Bugging You? Tricky rebate deals
- What's bugging you? Pedestrians who text
- What's bugging you? Brush clearance
- What's Bugging You? Morning construction
- What's Bugging You? Text-message spam