What's Bugging You?
What's Bugging You? Dogs in public places
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- People certainly love their pets. Some love them so much, they take them along to the mall, restaurants and grocery stores.
"I realize that people really care for their pets, but they really need to leave them at home when they are in a retail establishment," said Donna Horowitz of Claremont.
Horowitz sent Eyewitness News an e-mail because she believes it's a health issue. She also suffers from allergies.
"My eyes start to itch and I start to sneeze," she said. "It's uncomfortable and I understand retailers wanting patron, but they could get a dog sitter."
Pets are not allowed in indoor restaurants, unless it's a service animal such as a seeing eye dog, but some people still bring them.
"We're there for a specific purpose. They're there because they didn't want to leave Fluffy at home," said Tina Strandskov, who trains service dogs.
Strandskov said people who bring pets to stores or restaurants sometimes make it difficult for those who use service dogs.
"If a pet had an accident in a restaurant, the next time someone comes in with a dog, your teenage server will be more likely to say we don't allow dogs in here," she said.
Kenneth Phillips, an attorney who specializes in cases involving dogs, said the company can be held liable for it.
He said the courts have ruled that if someone is harmed by a pet in a store, the person injured can sue both the animal owner and the store.
"It's not reasonable to bring a dog into a store," Phillips said. "People in a store are looking at the stuff to buy, they are not looking down at their feet, looking for leashes or little animals, and then you have the danger of people tripping and injuring themselves."
Phillips said people should notify the store or restaurant manager about a pet. If they don't take action, a report can be made to the county health department.
animal news, legal, what's bugging you?, carlos granda
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Malaysia not sure which way jet was headed 34 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects 54 min ago
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 57 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
What's Bugging You?
- What's Bugging You Home Page
- Click here to tell us What's Bugging You
- Photos: What's Bugging You? Read complaints
- What's Bugging You? Smokers in traffic
- What's Bugging You? Tricky rebate deals
- What's bugging you? Pedestrians who text
- What's bugging you? Brush clearance
- What's Bugging You? Morning construction
- What's Bugging You? Text-message spam