What's Bugging You?
What's Bugging You? Alley trash
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- People illegally dumping their trash in the city's alleyways is what's bugging some Eyewitness News viewers.
It looks like a slum in some Third World country, but this is Los Angeles, an alley just off of South San Pedro and 24th streets, a place where residents say people come by and just dump their trash.
On this day it was a mountain of old clothes, trash, and bug-infested, rotting food, right next to businesses and people's homes.
"When it's trash-can time, you know, they come, put out their trash, so the trash can take it. Now for other people to come and pick it out and dump it in our alley. It's just not good. I mean, it's unhealthy and it's just horrible," said South L.A. resident Mari Valladares.
Any way you look at it, this is simply an embarrassment -- especially in a world-class city like Los Angeles -- that residents have to live with this around them.
"I would hate to walk past the alley because you've got all kind of gnats, bugs, the smell, the odor. It's just bad. It makes the city look bad," said South L.A. resident Danny Williams.
"It's a constant, ongoing problem: illegal dumping in alleys behind people's homes, behind their businesses," said L.A. City Councilwoman Jan Perry.
Perry says it happens so often it's hard to keep up in alleys all over the city.
In Los Angeles you can dial 311 and the city will send someone to clean it up.
Other cities also have cleanup crews that will take away the trash. The problem is it continues to happen. You can help if you see someone dumping trash.
"Look at a license plate," said Perry. "Don't approach the car or the truck or the vehicle or the person, but if you get a license plate or a vehicle description from a distance, feel free to phone that in too."
It's about keeping all our cities clean and safe.
what's bugging you?, carlos granda
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 23 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 48 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
What's Bugging You?
- What's Bugging You Home Page
- Click here to tell us What's Bugging You
- Photos: What's Bugging You? Read complaints
- What's Bugging You? Smokers in traffic
- What's Bugging You? Tricky rebate deals
- What's bugging you? Pedestrians who text
- What's bugging you? Brush clearance
- What's Bugging You? Morning construction
- What's Bugging You? Text-message spam