What's Bugging You?
What's Bugging You? Christmas lights up after the holidays
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Christmas lights are beautiful in December. But in February?
Some people still have their Christmas lights up months after the holidays.
Jeffrey Allen says it's bugging him that some Christmas lights never come down, they're up year round and it makes a neighborhood look a bit run down.
"I think people should be considerate and take them down," Allen said.
Darell Lee installs and takes down Christmas lights for customers across Southern California. He says after a few months, those pretty lights can become an ugly danger.
Some are meant for only 90 days worth of weathering. Lee says wear and tears means the lines could start snapping and bulbs could start breaking.
"Next year when you plug them in, they're not going to work. They will possibly even pop circuits. It can cause electrical hazards of that nature," Lee said.
In San Diego, there is a law telling residents when to take them down. Christmas lights up past February means a $250 fine.
In our area, there are no laws like that, but there are some private development communities and neighborhoods that do have restrictions.
Some of those restrictions mean residents can have them up two weeks before Christmas and two weeks after Christmas.
For those who live in such communities, you can call your homeowners association to see if there are special rules regarding holiday lights.
Residents who live outside of private communities can contact their city council or the city's department of building and safety for inquiries.
holiday, what's bugging you?, carlos granda
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 2 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 12 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt 53 min ago
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California 24 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis