What's Bugging You?
What's Bugging You? Unfinished houses
WEST LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Genesee Avenue in West Los Angeles appears to be a nice residential street with well kept homes, until you get to one with scaffolding around it and unfinished walls. It appears to be under construction.
"To come out every morning and see the same thing - we've been here for four years - it's depressing," said Jenna Quaranta, who lives across the street.
Neighbors say someone lives in the house. We knocked for several minutes until someone opened the door, but once we identified ourselves, he shut the door on us.
According to neighbors, the scaffolding was installed recently, but the outside wood is weathered from long term exposure and some wonder if it is even safe. We asked the city of Los Angeles how a home can remain like this for so long.
"A permit was obtained back in 2007," said David Lara of the Los Angeles Building and Safety Department. "Work had commenced, the Building and Safety Department was conducting actual inspections out here, but there came a time when the job just stopped."
Records show the first permit was issued on July 25, 2007. On Dec. 31, 2008, there were supplemental building permits. In October of 2011, the Building and Safety Department conducted an inspection and confirmed the construction site was unchanged. It expired the building permits and began enforcement on the site. In September of this year, it found out the owner of record is currently in state prison.
The Building and Safety Department said it is moving forward with the city attorney to take legal action.
"Even individuals who violate the law have rights, so we have a right of process with them but we do try to move forward as quickly as possible," Lara said.
Neighbors said now that Eyewitness News is looking into this they hope it might finally get resolved.
We will keep on top of this and let you know what happens.
real estate, housing market, what's bugging you?, carlos granda
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'