Beresford-Redman to remain jailed w/o bail
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A TV producer accused of killing his wife will remain jailed without bail as extradition proceedings move forward, a federal judge ruled Monday. Bruce Beresford-Redman appeared in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Monday to ask for his release while fighting extradition.
Former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman has been in jail since Nov.16.
He is wanted in Mexico for allegedly killing his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman, while the two vacationed at a Cancun resort.
Monica's body was found on April 8 outside the hotel. She had been beaten and strangled.
Prosecutors said Beresford-Redman is a flight risk and wanted him held without bail.
The parents of the defendant left the courthouse in disappointment. Attorneys for their son Bruce argued that the former Hollywood reality producer was of outstanding character, that his parents would give up a large part of their retirement funds for bail and that the children were suffering without him.
The magistrate ruled for the prosecution. The U.S. attorney questioned the defendant's character, citing information that he was having an affair when the murder happened.
The sisters of Monica Beresford-Redman rejoiced Monday, saying it is the first true step toward justice for Monica.
City News Service contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, murder, south bay, mexico, world news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 6 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10