Beresford-Redman to remain jailed w/o bail
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A TV producer accused of killing his wife will remain jailed without bail as extradition proceedings move forward, a federal judge ruled Monday. Bruce Beresford-Redman appeared in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom Monday to ask for his release while fighting extradition.
Former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman has been in jail since Nov.16.
He is wanted in Mexico for allegedly killing his wife, Monica Beresford-Redman, while the two vacationed at a Cancun resort.
Monica's body was found on April 8 outside the hotel. She had been beaten and strangled.
Prosecutors said Beresford-Redman is a flight risk and wanted him held without bail.
The parents of the defendant left the courthouse in disappointment. Attorneys for their son Bruce argued that the former Hollywood reality producer was of outstanding character, that his parents would give up a large part of their retirement funds for bail and that the children were suffering without him.
The magistrate ruled for the prosecution. The U.S. attorney questioned the defendant's character, citing information that he was having an affair when the murder happened.
The sisters of Monica Beresford-Redman rejoiced Monday, saying it is the first true step toward justice for Monica.
City News Service contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, murder, south bay, mexico, world news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis