Pro-Gadhafi forces score victories in Libya
TOBRUK, Libya (KABC) -- Moammar Gadhafi's forces have apparently captured Zwara, the last rebel-held city west of Libya's capital, Tripoli.
Tuesday's victory solidifies Gadhafi's hold on the western stretch of Libya's coastline from the capital to the Tunisian border.
However, rebels promise to regroup and fight back.
Zwara was one of the first towns seized by the rebels as they made gains early in the month-long uprising against Gadhafi's rule.
In Tripoli, hundreds of Gadhafi supporters celebrated in central Green Sqaure, blaring revolutionary songs, waving green flags and shooting in the air.
Moammar Gadhafi's also tried for the first time to take back a city in the opposition's heartland of eastern Libya. The military blasted rebels with airstrikes and bombardment from warships, tanks and artillery in an overwhelming display of firepower in Ajdabiya.
Meantime, the dramatic turn in Gadhafi's fortunes has outpaced French and British efforts to build support for a no-fly zone, which seemed to fall apart on Tuesday in the face of German opposition and U.S. reluctance.
Germany said that it was very skeptical about military action against Gadhafi's forces.
Gadhafi said he expects victory in the fight, saying he was not like the Tunisian or Egyptian leaders, who fell after anti-government protests.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
riot, world news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- CA proposal: Kill switch for stolen phones?
40 min ago