Bomb blast in central Jerusalem kills 1, injures dozens
JERUSALEM (KABC) -- A bomb blast at a crowded bus stop rocked Jerusalem on Wednesday. One person was killed, and two dozen others were injured.
Israeli police say an explosive device was left in a telephone booth near the city's central bus station.
The blast reverberated throughout Jerusalem and blew out the windows of two crowded buses. Rescuers removed bloodied people from the area on stretchers, as sirens from speeding ambulances wailed in the background.
No one has claimed responsibility, but Israeli authorities blame Palestinian militants.
The Western-backed Palestinian government in the West Bank condemned the attack.
Tensions have been rising in recent weeks, particularly along Israel's southern border with the Gaza Strip. Hamas, the militant group that controls Gaza, has been firing rockets and mortar shells across the border, and Israel retaliating with airstrikes and other attacks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
gaza strip, israel, world news
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- Beverly Hills 9OH2O luxury water put to test
53 min ago
- Silicon Beach Fest highlights LA's tech scene
30 min ago