Pakistan slams US for Osama bin Laden raid
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Pakistan's parliament is slamming the U.S. for the raid on al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden's compound.
Lawmakers are calling for an independent commission to look into the May 2 U.S. Navy Seals' raid.
Top military officials met with the country's parliament in a private session that began Friday night and ran through Saturday morning.
Pakistan's military was humiliated by the U.S. attack on bin Laden's compound. Pakistani leaders have insisted they didn't know bin Laden was living there.
Although American officials have said so far they have seen no evidence the top Pakistani military officials knew of bin Laden's whereabouts, the U.S. has long harbored suspicions that elements of Pakistan's armed and intelligence services provide assistance to some militant groups battling Western troops in Afghanistan.
On Friday, two suicide bombers struck a training center for paramilitary police recruits in the Shabqadar area of Pakistan's northwest in what the Pakistani Taliban called revenge for the death of bin Laden. On Saturday, senior police official Liaquat Ali Khan raised the death toll to 87, including at least 66 recruits.
The parliamentary resolution that emerged from the private session termed the U.S. raid as an attack on Pakistan's sovereignty.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
al qaeda, terrorism, technology, world news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 1 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts 14 min ago
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 48 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
53 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
41 min ago