Alleged Mexican drug lord arrested for 600 killings
TOLUCA, Mexico (KABC) -- An alleged Mexican drug lord who police say confessed to more than 600 murders was arrested during an overnight raid on a presumed safe house on the outskirts of Mexico City.
Oscar Osvaldo Garcia Montoya, 36, is allegedly the leader of "The Hand with Eyes" drug gang, known for extreme violence including decapitations. The gang is one of the groups blamed for bringing the drug violence typical of northern Mexico to Mexico City and its surrounding areas.
The bushy-haired Garcia gazed coolly when he was paraded before journalists Thursday, held firmly by two masked police officers.
Garcia is known as "El Compayito" after a popular Mexican talking hand-puppet character created by an entertainer who dresses up his hand and puts eyes on it. The crime gang apparently took its name from Garcia's puppet nickname.
"In the first declarations that have been gathered, El Compayito and-or 'The Hand with Eyes,' has acknowledged having participated personally in 300 murders and ordering another 300," said State of Mexico Attorney General Alfredo Castillo during a news conference.
Castillo said Garcia is a deserter from the Mexican marines who worked as a bodyguard for major cartel figures including Edgar Valdez, aka "La Barbie," a top assassin for the Beltran Leyva cartel until he was arrested in 2010.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
drug cartel, drug war, arrest, mexico, world news
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 25 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing 40 min ago
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Heart rate fitness tool helps burn calories 33 min ago
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10