Amanda Knox appeal: Prosecutors seek life sentence
PERUGIA, Italy (KABC) -- Italian prosecutors asked an appeals court to uphold Amanda Knox's murder conviction and hand down a life sentence.
The 24-year-old American from Seattle, Wash. was convicted by a lower court of sexually assaulting and murdering her British roommate, Meredith Kercher while they were studying in Perugia in 2007.
Knox's former boyfriend Raffaele Sollectio was also convicted. Knox was sentenced to 26 years, and Sollectio was sentenced to 25 years.
Knox and Sollectio deny wrongdoing and have appealed the 2009 verdict.
In Italy, prosecutors also can appeal, and they did so in this case, using the appeals court to try for the harsher penalty.
Prosecutors are asking the appeals court for the same life sentence for Sollectio. They are also requesting six months of daytime solitary confinement for Knox and two months for Sollectio.
For two days, prosecutors sought to persuade the appeals court that there is sound evidence incriminating the defendants: witness testimony, genetic material, cell phone activity.
Manuela Comodi, summing up the case Saturday, said there is "gigantic, rock-solid circumstantial evidence." The prosecutors believe the defendants deserve the harshest possible punishment because of the brutal nature of the murder, the sexual assault, and the lack of a motive.
Kercher was stabbed to death in the apartment she shared with Knox, in what prosecutor said was a drug-fueled sexual aggression.
A verdict is expected in early October. A lawyer for the victim's family and the defense teams will deliver their closing arguments next week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
legal, murder, world news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline 2 min ago
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians