American killed in attack on Kabul CIA office
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- A shooting at a CIA office in Kabul, Afghanistan, left an American dead and another wounded, officials said on Monday.
Authorities said the attack was carried out by an Afghan employee of the U.S. government who was killed in the incident. The assault was the third high-profile attack in the past two weeks in the Afghan capital.
Gunfire was first heard sometime after 8 p.m. local time around the former Ariana Hotel, a building that ex-U.S. intelligence officials said is the CIA station in Kabul.
No information has been given about the American killed. A wounded man was taken to a military hospital.
Investigators are trying to determine a motive for the attack. Embassy spokesman Gavin Sundwall declined to comment on what the targeted annex was used for, citing security reasons.
The Afghan employee was not authorized to carry a weapon, according to Sundwall, and it was not clear how the man was able to get a gun into the secured compound.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
afghanistan war, shooting, world news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 36 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 39 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
52 min ago