2 Britons among Afghan convoy attack victims
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- Two British civilians working for a building contractor were among the victims of a suicide bombing of a NATO convoy in Kabul that killed 17, said Britain's Foreign Office.
A Taliban suicide bomber rammed a car loaded with explosives into an armored NATO bus on a busy thoroughfare in Kabul Saturday, killing five NATO service members, including one Canadian soldier, eight civilian contractors and four Afghans.
It was earlier reported that the five soldiers and eight contractors killed were all American.
The British ministry said the families of the two civilians have been informed.
Prime Minister David Cameron offered condolences to families of the dead but insisted the attacks would not disrupt the work of international forces in Afghanistan.
The assault occurred just hours after top Afghan and Western officials met in the heart of Kabul to discuss the second phase of shifting security responsibilities to Afghan forces in all or part of 17 of the country's 34 provinces. Afghans already have the lead in the Afghan capital.
It was the deadliest single attack against the U.S.-led coalition across the country since the Taliban shot down a NATO helicopter on Aug. 6 in an eastern Afghan province, killing 30 U.S. troops, most elite Navy SEALs, and eight Afghans.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
afghanistan war, world news
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world 21 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 37 min ago
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany 18 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)