Polish pilot rejects 'hero' label, says he did what he was trained to do
WARSAW, Poland (KABC) -- The pilot of a Polish airliner that made an emergency landing rejected being labeled a hero Wednesday.
Captain Tadeusz Wrona said all talk of his heroism "is exaggerated."
The 54-year-old pilot for the Polish national carrier LOT deflected the praise, saying he merely did what he was trained to do.
"We knew we could make no mistake and that the contact with the ground should not be hard," Wrona told a news conference in Warsaw. "I am absolutely sure that each of us (pilots) would have done it the same way, and that the result would have been the same."
Wrona set the jetliner down so gently that many of the 231 people on board thought it had landed on its wheels - until they saw fire, sparks and smoke rising from beneath the aircraft as it slid down the Warsaw airport runway.
His voice shaking at times as he struggled for words, Wrona said he felt "a huge relief" when he knew everyone aboard the flight from Newark, N.J., had reached safety - and he wondered whether he might have executed the landing even more effectively.
LOT says the plane suffered "a central hydraulic system failure," that caused all three sections of the landing gear - the nose gear and the two main underwing gears - to fail. Such a complete undercarriage failure was unprecedented for a Boeing 767 and highly unusual overall, according to aviation data and experts.
Poles experienced a major air disaster last year, when a plane crashed in Smolensk, Russia, in heavy fog killing Polish President Lech Kaczynski and 95 other people.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
caught on tape, airplane, amazing video, world news
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 17 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 16 min ago
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- San Diego cross memorial removal ordered
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
48 min ago