Kim Jong Un officially becomes North Korea's supreme leader
PYONGYANG, North Korea (KABC) -- North Korea has a new supreme leader. Kim Jong Il's youngest son, Kim Jong Un, officially came into power Thursday during a national memorial service for his father.
Before the ceremony began, hundreds of thousands of mourners bowed their heads for a moment of silence.
They packed the capital's main square where the new supreme leader watched from a balcony.
The ceremonial head of state told the crowd that Kim Jong Un inherits his father's ideology, character and revolutionary cause.
The unequivocal public backing for Kim Jong Un at his father's memorial provides a strong signal that government and military officials have unified around him in the wake of Kim Jong Il's death. He died of a heart attack on Dec. 17 at the age of 69.
There are questions outside North Korea about wheather Kim Jong Un, who is in his late 20s, is ready to lead a nation engaged in long-stalled negotiations over its nuclear program and grappling with decades of economic hardship and chronic food shortages.
Kim Jong Il led 24 million people with absolute power for 17 years. He inherited power from his father, North Korea founder Kim Il Sung, who died of a heart attack in 1994, in what was the communist world's first hereditary succession.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, north korea, world news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 2 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 19 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed 13 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers 51 min ago
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die 49 min ago
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker