Joran van der Sloot's Peru murder trial postponed
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- Joran van der Sloot asked for more time Friday to decide how to plead in his trial for the murder of a Peruvian woman. His case was postponed until Jan. 11.
Van der Sloot is charged with killing Stephany Flores in 2010 after leaving a casino.
The murder took place exactly five years after the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, who was seen leaving a nightclub in Aruba with Van der Sloot. Holloway's body has never been found.
Authorities said Van der Sloot, 24, confessed to killing Flores, claiming he became enraged after she discovered his connection to Holloway.
Van der Sloot's attorney wants the confession thrown out because the defense lawyer present when he made the confession was state-appointed and no official translator was there.
Defense attorney Jose Luis Jimenez told The Associated Press that there was a 70 percent chance Van der Sloot will plead guilty, which could help him get a reduced sentence.
Prosecutors are seeking a 30-year prison sentence for Van der Sloot on murder and theft charges. Lawyers for Flores' family will try to show that Van der Sloot killed her to steal money she won at the casino.
The two met at the Atlantic Casino in Lima. They were seen playing at the same table, and then leaving together.
Van der Sloot's attorney will argue that his client was in a state of emotional distress when he killed Flores and "seek to reduce the charge from first-degree murder to simple homicide."
Van der Sloot has been in custody after his arrest in Chile just days after Flores' death.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, world news
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 46 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA 6 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theatre 54 min ago
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home 11 min ago
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- 6.5-mag quake hits coast of Chile; No tsunami
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- Yahoo buys Tumblr in $1.1 billion deal
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Selena Gomez stuns at Billboard Awards 20 min ago