Joran van der Sloot pleads guilty to killing Peru woman
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- Joran van der Sloot pleaded guilty to the 2010 murder of a 21-year-old Peruvian woman he met at a Lima casino.
Van der Sloot, 24, is charged with killing Stephany Flores exactly five years after the unsolved disappearance of American teen Natalee Holloway, who was seen leaving a nightclub in Aruba with Van der Sloot. Her body has never been found.
Authorities said Van der Sloot confessed to killing Flores, claiming he became enraged after she discovered his connection to Holloway. His murder trial opened last week but was adjourned to Wednesday after he asked for more time to decide how to plead.
Prosecutors argue that Van der Sloot killed Flores in order to rob her after learning she had won money at the casino where the two met.
Van der Sloot entered the plea in hopes of a reduced sentence. The panel of three judges has 48 hours to render a sentence.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, world news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 13 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 43 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor 3 min ago
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the 70s 32 min ago
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Gay couple plans wedding on Rose Parade float
23 min ago