Joran van der Sloot pleads guilty to killing Peru woman
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- Joran van der Sloot pleaded guilty to the 2010 murder of a 21-year-old Peruvian woman he met at a Lima casino.
Van der Sloot, 24, is charged with killing Stephany Flores exactly five years after the unsolved disappearance of American teen Natalee Holloway, who was seen leaving a nightclub in Aruba with Van der Sloot. Her body has never been found.
Authorities said Van der Sloot confessed to killing Flores, claiming he became enraged after she discovered his connection to Holloway. His murder trial opened last week but was adjourned to Wednesday after he asked for more time to decide how to plead.
Prosecutors argue that Van der Sloot killed Flores in order to rob her after learning she had won money at the casino where the two met.
Van der Sloot entered the plea in hopes of a reduced sentence. The panel of three judges has 48 hours to render a sentence.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, world news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report