Eyewitness News exclusive: Passenger overboard off Atlantis cruise
Cozumel, Mexico (KABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned a passenger has fallen overboard from an Atlantis cruise off the coast of Mexico on Friday.
ABC7 photojournalist Sean Patrick Lewis aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Allure of the Seas said passengers were awakened Friday morning by an emergency announcement, saying a man was believed to be overboard.
The ship's captain confirmed the incident to passengers and said all rescue attempts were being made.
An emergency assembly was called so passengers could be counted.
In a statement released Friday, Royal Caribbean said a passenger witnessed another passenger going overboard at about 7 a.m. According to the statement, footage from the ship's closed-circuit camera showed the passenger, a 30-year-old British man, going over the balcony railing in his stateroom.
The Mexican Coast Guard and Navy conducted a search for the missing passenger for several hours to no avail. At about 9:30 a.m., the ship continued on its original route to Cozumel, Mexico.
Royal Caribbean officials said its care team is providing support to the passenger's family.
The ship was on its way back to port in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. It had scheduled stops at Labadee, Haiti, Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico.
mexico, world news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)