Eyewitness News exclusive: Passenger overboard off Atlantis cruise
Cozumel, Mexico (KABC) -- Eyewitness News has learned a passenger has fallen overboard from an Atlantis cruise off the coast of Mexico on Friday.
ABC7 photojournalist Sean Patrick Lewis aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Allure of the Seas said passengers were awakened Friday morning by an emergency announcement, saying a man was believed to be overboard.
The ship's captain confirmed the incident to passengers and said all rescue attempts were being made.
An emergency assembly was called so passengers could be counted.
In a statement released Friday, Royal Caribbean said a passenger witnessed another passenger going overboard at about 7 a.m. According to the statement, footage from the ship's closed-circuit camera showed the passenger, a 30-year-old British man, going over the balcony railing in his stateroom.
The Mexican Coast Guard and Navy conducted a search for the missing passenger for several hours to no avail. At about 9:30 a.m., the ship continued on its original route to Cozumel, Mexico.
Royal Caribbean officials said its care team is providing support to the passenger's family.
The ship was on its way back to port in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. It had scheduled stops at Labadee, Haiti, Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico.
mexico, world news
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Zimmerman attorneys pick 40 potential jurors
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- Stroke recognition crucial for quick...
11 min ago