Argentina train crash kills 49; hundreds hurt
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (KABC) -- A packed train slammed into the end of the line at a busy Buenos Aires station on Wednesday, killing 49 people and injuring hundreds of commuters.
The accident happened during the morning commute. The commuter train came in too fast and slammed into a barrier at the end of the platform.
The train was packed with people standing between the seats, and the impact threw many of the passengers into each other and onto the floor.
It was Argentina's worst train accident in decades.
Emergency workers were slowly extracting dozens of people who were trapped inside the first car, said Alberto Crescenti, the city's emergency medical director.
The dead included 48 adults and one child.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
accident, train accident, world news
- Search resumes for hiker in Santa Clarita 27 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 35 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
15 min ago