Argentina train crash kills 49; hundreds hurt
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (KABC) -- A packed train slammed into the end of the line at a busy Buenos Aires station on Wednesday, killing 49 people and injuring hundreds of commuters.
The accident happened during the morning commute. The commuter train came in too fast and slammed into a barrier at the end of the platform.
The train was packed with people standing between the seats, and the impact threw many of the passengers into each other and onto the floor.
It was Argentina's worst train accident in decades.
Emergency workers were slowly extracting dozens of people who were trapped inside the first car, said Alberto Crescenti, the city's emergency medical director.
The dead included 48 adults and one child.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
accident, train accident, world news
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled 8 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- OTRC: Beyonce posts bikini pics, goes on vegan diet
- Holiday headaches triggers to watch out for
55 min ago