Pippa Middleton to ski 56-mile Swedish race
STOCKHOLM (KABC) -- Pippa Middleton is planning to ski in Sweden's traditional 56-mile cross-country marathon on Sunday for charity.
A spokesman for the race said the sister of the Duchess of Cambridge and their brother James are doing the Vasaloppet race to raise money for the child hunger charity Magic Breakfast.
First held in 1922, the Vasaloppet is one of the world's oldest cross-country races. It stretches from the village of Salen near the Norwegian border to the central town of Mora.
The race is based on Gustav Vasa's attempt to gather peasants for a revolt against occupying Danes in 1522. He fled after getting no support, but the people changed their minds and sent their best skiers to bring him back.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
charity, world news
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA 31 min ago
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- Elephant meat, dead primate seized at LAX
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Does your child have oral allergy syndrome?
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10