Kate accompanies queen to kick off Diamond Jubilee celebrations
LEICESTER, England (KABC) -- Queen Elizabeth II has kicked off her Diamond Jubilee tour accompanied by none other than the former Kate Middleton.
The queen, her husband Philip, and the duke of Edinburgh and Kate were at Leicester's De Montfort University on Thursday.
After touring the university, the queen and the Duchess of Cambridge were treated to a student fashion show.
Before leaving, they also visited a shoe studio, where six fashion students were asked to design a shoe for Kate. The duchess will choose her favorite, which she has promised to wear.
The Diamond Jubilee celebrates Queen Elizabeth II being on the throne for 60 years. As part of the celebration, the queen and her husband were expected to visit Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
kate middleton, world news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots 11 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation 2 min ago
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries 33 min ago
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 58 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 50 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report