Joran Van der Sloot may be extradited to US
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- The main suspect in the disappearance of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005 may be extradited to the U.S.
Holloway disappeared and was last seen leaving a nightclub with Van der Sloot. He was arrested twice in the case, but never charged.
The attorney for Joran Van der Sloot says Peruvian officials are evaluating a request by the U.S. to extradite the jailed Dutchman. The lawyer says his client fears extradition because U.S. prisons have a reputation for being "very hard" on inmates.
Van der Sloot, 24, is serving a 28-year prison sentence for killing Stephany Flores, a woman he met in Lima. Flores was killed exactly five years after Holloway's disappearance.
Van der Sloot also faces extortion charges in Alabama for allegedly receiving $25,000 from Holloway's mother to tell her where to find her daughter's remains. The information turned out to be worthless.
murder, court case, world news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 22 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 38 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 18 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 33 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2