Joran Van der Sloot may be extradited to US
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- The main suspect in the disappearance of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005 may be extradited to the U.S.
Holloway disappeared and was last seen leaving a nightclub with Van der Sloot. He was arrested twice in the case, but never charged.
The attorney for Joran Van der Sloot says Peruvian officials are evaluating a request by the U.S. to extradite the jailed Dutchman. The lawyer says his client fears extradition because U.S. prisons have a reputation for being "very hard" on inmates.
Van der Sloot, 24, is serving a 28-year prison sentence for killing Stephany Flores, a woman he met in Lima. Flores was killed exactly five years after Holloway's disappearance.
Van der Sloot also faces extortion charges in Alabama for allegedly receiving $25,000 from Holloway's mother to tell her where to find her daughter's remains. The information turned out to be worthless.
murder, court case, world news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought 12 min ago
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 52 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD 6 min ago
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 3 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'