Joran Van der Sloot may be extradited to US
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- The main suspect in the disappearance of 18-year-old Natalee Holloway in Aruba in 2005 may be extradited to the U.S.
Holloway disappeared and was last seen leaving a nightclub with Van der Sloot. He was arrested twice in the case, but never charged.
The attorney for Joran Van der Sloot says Peruvian officials are evaluating a request by the U.S. to extradite the jailed Dutchman. The lawyer says his client fears extradition because U.S. prisons have a reputation for being "very hard" on inmates.
Van der Sloot, 24, is serving a 28-year prison sentence for killing Stephany Flores, a woman he met in Lima. Flores was killed exactly five years after Holloway's disappearance.
Van der Sloot also faces extortion charges in Alabama for allegedly receiving $25,000 from Holloway's mother to tell her where to find her daughter's remains. The information turned out to be worthless.
murder, court case, world news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 5 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)