20 Yemeni soldiers killed by al Qaeda militants
SANAA, Yemen (KABC) -- Officials in Yemen say al Qaeda militants have killed 20 Yemeni soldiers and captured 25 more in a pre-dawn attack on an army base.
It comes a day after a top al Qaeda leader was killed by a U.S. drone strike in the country. Fahd al-Quso was hit by a missile as he stepped out of his vehicle.
He had been on the FBI's most wanted list for his role in the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole that killed 17 Americans.
He was also linked to the attempted 2009 bombing of a plane headed for Detroit. Officials say the strike was carried out by the CIA and authorized by the government of Yemen.
terrorism, al qaeda, world news
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2 40 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 10 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks 23 min ago
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate