Joran van der Sloot to fight US extradition
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- Joran van der Sloot's lawyer said his client will fight extradition from Peru to the U.S., where he faces extortion and wire fraud charges in connection with the disappearance of American teen Natalee Holloway.
Van der Sloot is the prime suspect in the unsolved case surrounding Holloway, who vanished while in Aruba in 2005. Van der Sloot faces an indictment in the U.S. for allegedly accepting $25,000 in 2010 in exchange for an unfulfilled promise to lead Holloway's mother's lawyer to the girl's body.
When a judge informed the 24-year-old Dutchman of the extradition request, van der Sloot's lawyer said his client would fight extradition.
If he remains in Peru, van der Sloot's laywer said his client could be released on parole after serving a third of his 28-year sentence for killing a Lima woman he met at a casino in May 2010.
On the other hand, if he were convicted in the U.S., van der Sloot likely would not qualify for early parole in Peru. Under the U.S.-Peru extradition treaty, he would be returned to Peru to finish out his sentence. Then, if he were convicted in the U.S., he would be sent there to serve the second sentence.
If Peru's Supreme Court approves the extradition request it will then need to be approved by the country's council of ministers.
Van der Sloot was sentenced in January after he confessed to beating and strangling 21-year-old Stephany Flores in his Lima hotel room exactly five years after Holloway disappeared on Aruba, the Dutch dependency where he grew up.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, world news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 48 min ago
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 32 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- 15-yr-old arrested after assaulting IE senior
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour