Egypt's Mubarak sentenced to life in prison
CAIRO (KABC) -- Egypt's Hosni Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the killing of protestors during last year's uprising that forced him from power.
Mubarak remained silent during the court proceedings. But after the verdict was read, scuffles broke out between Mubarak's supporters and opponents.
After the sentencing, the 84-year-old Mubarak suffered what is being called a "health crisis" while on a helicopter flight to a Cairo prison hospital. One state media report said it may have been a heart attack, but that could not immediately be confirmed.
Security officials said Mubarak protested being transported to the prison hospital, instead insisting to be flown to the military hospital on the eastern outskirts of Cairo where he has stayed during the trial.
Mubarak and his two sons, who were also in court, were acquitted on corruption charges. However, Mubarak was convicted of complicity in the killing of some 900 protesters during the 18-day uprising that forced him to resign in February 2011.
The charges related to killing protesters carried a possible death sentence that the judge chose not to impose, opting instead to send Mubarak to prison for the rest of his life.
Mubarak is the first Arab leader to be tried in his own country.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
egypt, protest, world news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- 'Sexting' case at IE schools nets teen arrest 51 min ago
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police 24 min ago
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
30 min ago