Iran test fires several 'long-range' missiles
TEHRAN, IRAN (KABC) -- Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guards test fired several ballistic missiles on Tuesday as part of a military exercise.
There are reports that alleged long-range missiles successfully hit their targets. Those missiles are capable of hitting U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf.
Iranian news reports described some of the missiles as "long-range," but they are not believed to have a range anywhere near what the U.S. military considers long range.
The military exercise was in response to Israel's and Washington's refusal to rule out military strikes to stop Iran's nuclear program, the Guards' acting commander told state TV.
"It is a response to the political impoliteness of those who talk about all options being on the table," Gen. Hossein Salami said.
The West has long suspected the Islamic Republic wants to build nuclear weapons, and Israel has hinted at an attack if diplomatic efforts and sanctions fail to eliminate what it sees as a direct threat.
But Iran insists its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, such as power generation and cancer treatment.
Iran has tested a variety of missiles in previous war games, including a Shahab-3 variant with a range of 2,000 kilometers that can reach Israel and southern Europe.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
iran, world news
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 50 min ago
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 53 min ago
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk 19 min ago
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 21 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 12 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'