7 terror suspects arrested in UK; guns found
LONDON (KABC) -- British police have arrested seven more suspects on suspicion of terrorist offenses after a routine vehicle search turned up firearms and weapons.
The arrests come just three weeks before the Summer Olympics.
The arrests, which took place earlier this week, were announced a day after officers in London detained six other terror suspects using stun guns and smoke grenades in early-morning swoops, including one on a home close to London's Olympic Park.
Police said three of the men were arrested Tuesday, three on Wednesday and one on Thursday. Six of them are in their twenties and from the West Midlands, while one is in his 40s and from West Yorkshire. Police said the new arrests were not linked to the London raids.
Police insist that the 13 arrests in recent days did not involve threats to the Olympics set to begin in three weeks. But the counter-terror sweeps have raised anxiety in the run-up to the games.Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman Steve Field insisted there was no sense of alarm at the spate of arrests so close to the start of the Summer Games.
"We have been looking at the issue of security at the Olympics for some time and we have robust plans in place," he told reporters.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
terrorism, olympics, security, world news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95 48 min ago
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 21 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 20 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 44 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate