7 terror suspects arrested in UK; guns found
LONDON (KABC) -- British police have arrested seven more suspects on suspicion of terrorist offenses after a routine vehicle search turned up firearms and weapons.
The arrests come just three weeks before the Summer Olympics.
The arrests, which took place earlier this week, were announced a day after officers in London detained six other terror suspects using stun guns and smoke grenades in early-morning swoops, including one on a home close to London's Olympic Park.
Police said three of the men were arrested Tuesday, three on Wednesday and one on Thursday. Six of them are in their twenties and from the West Midlands, while one is in his 40s and from West Yorkshire. Police said the new arrests were not linked to the London raids.
Police insist that the 13 arrests in recent days did not involve threats to the Olympics set to begin in three weeks. But the counter-terror sweeps have raised anxiety in the run-up to the games.Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman Steve Field insisted there was no sense of alarm at the spate of arrests so close to the start of the Summer Games.
"We have been looking at the issue of security at the Olympics for some time and we have robust plans in place," he told reporters.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
terrorism, olympics, security, world news
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets 3 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Man barricaded in Whittier apartment building 23 min ago
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
33 min ago