Bulgaria bus blast caused by bomb: Israel
SOFIA, Bulgaria (KABC) -- At least seven people were killed and dozens were hurt when a bus near a Bulgarian resort exploded from a car bomb.
The bus was carrying Israeli youth, and several surrounding vehicles were also hit by the blast. Israel's Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman announced that the deadly explosion was caused by a bomb.
Lieberman said that seven people had died, but Bulgarian officials have put the death toll at six. Authorities said at least 32 people were wounded in the blast.
The explosion took place in the Black Sea city of Burgas, about 250 miles east of the capital, Sofia. The bomb apparently went off at a parking lot at the local airport where the Israeli tourists had just landed.
Israelis often have been targeted in attacks outside their country, and Wednesday's bombing coincided with the 18th anniversary of the bombing of a Jewish community center in Argentina that killed 85 people.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called it "an Iranian terror attack" and promised a tough response. Israel is vowing to strike back at Iran.
President Barack Obama termed it a "barbaric terrorist attack" and called Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to pledge U.S. help in finding the perpetrators.
Tehran did not immediately issue any comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
bombing, explosion, world news
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 2 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 3 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 16 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'