Israelis killed by suicide bomber w/ Michigan driver's license - Bulgaria
BURGAS, Bulgaria (KABC) -- A long-haired man wearing a baseball hat and plaid shorts with a fake Michigan driver's license was behind a deadly suicide attack on a bus full of Israeli tourists, Bulgarian officials said Thursday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blamed the attack on Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed Lebanese Shiite Muslim guerrilla group.
The attack happened at a Black Sea resort town in Bulgaria on Wednesday. A total of seven people - five Israelis, the Bulgarian driver and the bomber - were killed and dozens more were injured.
The suspected bomber was seen on an airport security camera shortly before the bombing. He was seen carrying a large backpack with wheels. Officials said the bomb detonated in the luggage compartment of the bus as the attacker mingled among his victims.
Authorities are still trying to determine his true identity, but Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said the bomber was believed to have been about 36 years old and had been in the country between four and seven days.
According to Bulgarian Prime Minister Boiko Borisov, U.S. officials reported having no such person in their database matching the identity on the Michigan driver's license. Michigan is home to one of the largest Arab communities in the U.S.
Although no group claimed responsibility for the attack, Israel has attributed a series of attacks on its citizens in recent months to Iran and its Shiite proxies, threatening to escalate a shadow war between the two enemies. Iran has denied any involvement in the attack.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
bombing, explosion, world news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 7 min ago
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Russia would welcome Crimea, says top lawmaker
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine' 14 min ago
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)