Afghan police officer kills 3 US Marines
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- An Afghan police officer shot and killed three U.S. Marines after eating a meal with them in southern Afghanistan.
The shooting happened in the volatile Sangin district of Helmand province. Sangin was a Taliban stronghold for years and has one of the highest concentrations of improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, in the country.
The gunman fled the scene and remains at large. Sangin's district chief and the Taliban both identified the gunman as Asadullah, a member of the Afghan National Police who was helping the Marines train the Afghan Local Police. The Taliban claims the man joined the insurgency after the attack.
A U.S. Defense Department official confirmed that the dead Americans were Marine Special Operations Forces. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the family notification process was not complete.
NATO says 31 coalition service members have been killed in such attacks so far this year. This is a dramatic rise from previous years. There were 11 such attacks and 20 deaths in 2011, according to the Associated Press. Each of the previous two years saw five such attacks.
The assaults have cast a shadow of mistrust over U.S. efforts to train Afghan soldiers and police. It has also raised further doubts about the quality of the Afghan forces taking over in many areas before most international troops leave the country in 2014.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
taliban, u.s. troops, world news
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburb 1 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA 59 min ago
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Aerial views of Oklahoma tornado damage
25 min ago