Afghan shooting kills American soldier, contractor
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- An American soldier and an American contractor were killed Saturday night when an Afghan soldier opened fire on U.S. troops at a checkpoint in eastern Afghanistan.
The recent attacks bring the death toll of American troops to 2,000 since the start of the war 11 years ago, according to a count kept by the Associated Press. Afghan soldiers and policemen have gunned down more than 50 foreign troops so far this year.
The attacks are taking a toll on the partnership between international and Afghan forces. The U.S. military is now restricting operations with small-sized Afghan units.
It's not clear if the shooter in the latest attack was killed. The deaths are under investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
u.s. troops, world news
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 3 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 29 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...