Afghan shooting kills American soldier, contractor
KABUL, Afghanistan (KABC) -- An American soldier and an American contractor were killed Saturday night when an Afghan soldier opened fire on U.S. troops at a checkpoint in eastern Afghanistan.
The recent attacks bring the death toll of American troops to 2,000 since the start of the war 11 years ago, according to a count kept by the Associated Press. Afghan soldiers and policemen have gunned down more than 50 foreign troops so far this year.
The attacks are taking a toll on the partnership between international and Afghan forces. The U.S. military is now restricting operations with small-sized Afghan units.
It's not clear if the shooter in the latest attack was killed. The deaths are under investigation.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
u.s. troops, world news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 38 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 29 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds