Joran Van der Sloot says he is going to be a father - report
LIMA, Peru (KABC) -- Joran Van der Sloot says he is going to be a father.
The 28-year-old is currently serving a 28-year sentence for murdering a young Peruvian woman in 2010. He is also suspected in the 2005 disappearance of Natalee Holloway in Aruba.
In a telephone interview with Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, Van der Sloot identified the mother as "Leidy" and says she is past her first trimester. He denied, however, that he had told the newspaper he could confirm the pregnancy.
The prison has Leidy Figueroa Uceda listed as Van der Sloot's conjugal visitor, according to attorney Maximo Altez. They reportedly met through another inmate.
Van der Sloot was convicted for the 2010 robbing and killing of Stephany Flores in a Lima hotel room after meeting her in a nearby casino. Van der Sloot is appealing his conviction.
He is also wanted by U.S. authorities for allegedly extorting money from the Holloway family on the promise of revealing the location of her body.
He could resist extradition to America if he obtains Peruvian nationality, which could be made possible if he becomes the father of a Peruvian child or if he marries a Peruvian citizen.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
murder, court case, world news
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director
- Vehicle slams into tree, erupts in flames
- Hostilities erupt in Michael Jackson trial
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery 23 min ago
- OC man convicted of estranged wife's shooting
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite 21 min ago
- San Jose sues MLB for stalling A's move
- Expansions for women in combat to be announced
- abcnews: $65K reward in '08 Times Square bombing
- 7-Eleven stores exploited immigrants - feds 10 min ago
- Afghanistan gov. takes over its armed forces
- Dave Chappelle to headline Funny or Die tour
- OTRC: Katy Perry: Russell Brand texted divorce plan