McAfee founder wanted for questioning in American murder in Belize
SAN PEDRO, BELIZE (KABC) -- John McAfee, the founder of software company McAfee Inc., is being sought by police in the country of Belize in relation to the murder of an American expatriate.
Gregory Faull, 52, was found dead on Sunday with a gunshot wound to the head. His body was found inside his home near San Pedro, a town on the island of Ambergris Caye in Belize. His computer and phone were missing. No signs of forced entry were found. Faull, an American citizen, was found by a housekeeper, who called police.
McAfee, 67, has a residence near Faull's home. McAfee has not been home. Authorities want to question him about the shooting. Other neighbors have also been questioned.
Jeff Wise, a Gizmodo.com writer, has reported on McAfee for five years. He told Eyewitness News that McAfee and Faull had been at odds for some time. Often they argued over McAfee's dogs. Last week Faull filed a complaint claiming McAfee had fired off guns and exhibited "roguish behavior."
Wise said John McAfee has become "increasingly erratic" over the years.
"McAfee was a person who likes to bend the truth to suit his ends," said Wise. "He described himself as a trickster, as a practical-joker, someone who felt no compunction about telling falsehoods to journalists for whatever reason. And so it was very difficult to do reporting about him."
Wise has also reported that McAfee became deeply involved with "bath salts," a dangerous drug notorious for its psychotic effects.
McAfee Inc. was sold to Intel in 2010 for $7 billion.
Photo courtesy: Ambergris Today Online
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
homicide investigation, murder, world news, leslie miller
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 18 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 16 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)