Susan Rice amends Libya comments; GOP unsure of nomination
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice could face a tough fight if she's nominated to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state.
Rice met privately with Republican senators on Capitol Hill Tuesday. They have criticized her for saying the deadly U.S. consulate terror attack in Libya sprang from a protest.
Rice now says the talking points she was given were wrong, but that there was no intention to mislead the American people.
"The talking points provided by the intelligence community, and the initial assessment upon which they were based, were incorrect in a key respect: There was no protest or demonstration in Benghazi," Rice said in a statement after the meeting. "While we certainly wish that we had had perfect information just days after the terrorist attack, as is often the case the intelligence assessment has evolved."
Still, a handful of senators, including John McCain, say they are more troubled than ever by her response.
Despite lingering questions over her comments, Rice is the top candidate on a short list of possible successors to Clinton, with Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, D-Mass., seen as her closest competition.
Rice, 48, has been known to covet the job for years, but was passed over for Clinton in 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
republican party, president barack obama, united nations, hillary rodham clinton, world news
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute 22 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 1 min ago
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
26 min ago