Susan Rice amends Libya comments; GOP unsure of nomination
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice could face a tough fight if she's nominated to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state.
Rice met privately with Republican senators on Capitol Hill Tuesday. They have criticized her for saying the deadly U.S. consulate terror attack in Libya sprang from a protest.
Rice now says the talking points she was given were wrong, but that there was no intention to mislead the American people.
"The talking points provided by the intelligence community, and the initial assessment upon which they were based, were incorrect in a key respect: There was no protest or demonstration in Benghazi," Rice said in a statement after the meeting. "While we certainly wish that we had had perfect information just days after the terrorist attack, as is often the case the intelligence assessment has evolved."
Still, a handful of senators, including John McCain, say they are more troubled than ever by her response.
Despite lingering questions over her comments, Rice is the top candidate on a short list of possible successors to Clinton, with Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, D-Mass., seen as her closest competition.
Rice, 48, has been known to covet the job for years, but was passed over for Clinton in 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
republican party, president barack obama, united nations, hillary rodham clinton, world news
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 3 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 16 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
22 min ago