UN votes to recognize state of Palestine
UN votes to recognize state of Palestine (KABC) -- The United Nations voted Thursday to recognize a Palestinian state, despite objections from both Israel and the United States.
The historic vote was 138-9, with 41 countries abstaining. The decision was greeted with cheers in the West Bank city of Ramallah, with hundreds chanting "God is great." It was a long-sought victory for the Palestinians.
A Palestinian flag was quickly unfurled on the floor of the General Assembly behind the Palestinian delegation.
The action elevates the Palestinian's status from "entity" to "nonmember observer state." Palestine will now become a party to the International Criminal Court, which means they can bring cases against Israel.
But real independence remains an elusive dream until the Palestinians negotiate a peace deal with the Israelis, who warned that the General Assembly action will only delay a lasting solution. Israel still controls the West Bank, east Jerusalem and access to Gaza, and it accused the Palestinians of bypassing negotiations with the campaign to upgrade their U.N. status.
The U.S. immediately criticized the vote, saying that it was purely symbolic and would change nothing on the ground.
"Today's unfortunate and counterproductive resolution places further obstacles in the path peace," U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice said.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton called the vote "unfortunate" and "counterproductive," while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the U.N. move violated past agreements between Israel and the Palestinians. He said Israel would act accordingly, but did not elaborate what steps it might take.
After the vote, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon urged leaders from Israel and Palestine to resume peace talks.
"Today's vote underscores the urgency of the resumption of negotiations," he said.
The United States and Israel voted against recognition, joined by Canada, the Czech Republic, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Panama.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
united nations, palestinian, world news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial 2 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe 17 min ago
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case 17 min ago
- 'Button-down' Bandit' strikes Corona bank
- Man arrested for Ventura transient's murder
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist 30 min ago
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown 40 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies 45 min ago
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke