Venezuelan prison riot death toll above 60
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A bloody prison riot in Venezuela left at least 61 people dead and 120 injured.
The violence broke out between national guard troops and armed inmates at Uribana prison in the city of Barquisimeto. Officials said inmates attacked guards who were trying to carry out an inspection. Nearly all of the injuries were from gunshots.
The government sent troops to the prison after reports of clashes between inmates over the past couple days.
The prison has since been evacuated and all of the inmates were taken to other facilities. The violence was the latest in a series of bloody riots in the country's prisons.
fight, world news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 24 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 14 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
46 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
54 min ago