Venezuelan prison riot death toll above 60
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A bloody prison riot in Venezuela left at least 61 people dead and 120 injured.
The violence broke out between national guard troops and armed inmates at Uribana prison in the city of Barquisimeto. Officials said inmates attacked guards who were trying to carry out an inspection. Nearly all of the injuries were from gunshots.
The government sent troops to the prison after reports of clashes between inmates over the past couple days.
The prison has since been evacuated and all of the inmates were taken to other facilities. The violence was the latest in a series of bloody riots in the country's prisons.
fight, world news
- 1 shot, killed at North Hills nursing facility 14 min ago
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Ukraine police stand down after protest grows
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions