Venezuelan prison riot death toll above 60
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A bloody prison riot in Venezuela left at least 61 people dead and 120 injured.
The violence broke out between national guard troops and armed inmates at Uribana prison in the city of Barquisimeto. Officials said inmates attacked guards who were trying to carry out an inspection. Nearly all of the injuries were from gunshots.
The government sent troops to the prison after reports of clashes between inmates over the past couple days.
The prison has since been evacuated and all of the inmates were taken to other facilities. The violence was the latest in a series of bloody riots in the country's prisons.
fight, world news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 17 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 39 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere