Brazil nightclub fire: 3 arrested, 4th person sought
SANTA MARIA, Brazil (KABC) -- Police have arrested three people and are searching for a fourth person in connection with a nightclub fire in southern Brazil that killed more than 230 people.
Officials said the arrests are for investigative purposes. They did not release the names of the people in custody.
According to Zero Hora newspaper, a lawyer says his client Elissandro Spohr, a co-owner of the club, was arrested. The paper also says two band members were arrested.
The death toll from Sunday's fire at Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria is at least 231. Many of the victims were under 20 years old, including some minors. The first funerals of victims were planned for Monday.
Survivors told investigators the security guards briefly tried to block patrons from leaving the club through the only exit because they wanted everyone to pay their bills.
The bodies of the victims also slowed firefighters trying to get inside.
The fire was reportedly set off by band members sending pyrotechnics into foam sound insulation material. If true, the band could face manslaughter charges.
The fire broke out sometime before 3 a.m. Sunday and the fast-moving blaze and toxic smoke engulfed the club within seconds.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, world news
- Funeral service underway for LAPD Officer Lee 8 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Funeral service for LAPD Officer Nicholas...
47 min ago