Brazil nightclub fire: 3 arrested, 4th person sought
SANTA MARIA, Brazil (KABC) -- Police have arrested three people and are searching for a fourth person in connection with a nightclub fire in southern Brazil that killed more than 230 people.
Officials said the arrests are for investigative purposes. They did not release the names of the people in custody.
According to Zero Hora newspaper, a lawyer says his client Elissandro Spohr, a co-owner of the club, was arrested. The paper also says two band members were arrested.
The death toll from Sunday's fire at Kiss nightclub in Santa Maria is at least 231. Many of the victims were under 20 years old, including some minors. The first funerals of victims were planned for Monday.
Survivors told investigators the security guards briefly tried to block patrons from leaving the club through the only exit because they wanted everyone to pay their bills.
The bodies of the victims also slowed firefighters trying to get inside.
The fire was reportedly set off by band members sending pyrotechnics into foam sound insulation material. If true, the band could face manslaughter charges.
The fire broke out sometime before 3 a.m. Sunday and the fast-moving blaze and toxic smoke engulfed the club within seconds.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
fire, world news
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 49 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- LA voters to decide future of marijuana shops
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- UC hospital workers strike over understaffing
- Former IRS chief knew little about targeting
- Jodi Arias pleads to jury for life sentence 2 min ago
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- SF 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10 31 min ago