Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - South Africa
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- Nelson Mandela has been admitted to a hospital for a scheduled checkup, according to South Africa's presidency.
Presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said 94-year-old Mandela went to a hospital in Pretoria, the capital, Saturday afternoon.
Maharaj says doctors are running tests and have indicated that there is "no reason for any alarm."
Mandela, a leader of the fight against apartheid and a former president, was hospitalized for nearly three weeks in December before going home on Dec. 26. At that time, he was treated for a lung infection and had a surgical procedure to remove gallstones.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School 10 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video