Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - South Africa
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- Nelson Mandela has been admitted to a hospital for a scheduled checkup, according to South Africa's presidency.
Presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said 94-year-old Mandela went to a hospital in Pretoria, the capital, Saturday afternoon.
Maharaj says doctors are running tests and have indicated that there is "no reason for any alarm."
Mandela, a leader of the fight against apartheid and a former president, was hospitalized for nearly three weeks in December before going home on Dec. 26. At that time, he was treated for a lung infection and had a surgical procedure to remove gallstones.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal 35 min ago
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Free admission offered to all national parks 1 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour