Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - South Africa
JOHANNESBURG (KABC) -- Nelson Mandela has been admitted to a hospital for a scheduled checkup, according to South Africa's presidency.
Presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj said 94-year-old Mandela went to a hospital in Pretoria, the capital, Saturday afternoon.
Maharaj says doctors are running tests and have indicated that there is "no reason for any alarm."
Mandela, a leader of the fight against apartheid and a former president, was hospitalized for nearly three weeks in December before going home on Dec. 26. At that time, he was treated for a lung infection and had a surgical procedure to remove gallstones.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate